Sunday, August 5, 2007

Ode to My Dead Acquaintance, Sophie

Sorry to begin with sad news, but an acquaintance of mine, Sophie, died last week from breathing a little too fast. She was a dear acquaintance who I had known on-and-off in a casual , not-sure-what-she's-up to way since 1992. On a lighter note, it's good it happened when it did and not 10 seconds later, because I was about to beat her at Gin-Rummi when it looked all along like she was going to beat me. So she went out on a high note, which is nice.

I have kept her laptop which she had with her in a bag that day. She might have wanted it this way, and I'd like to think that when she's looking down on me from heaven she is perhaps satisfied that I have it. A neighbor showed me how to plug it in and unplug it to start and stop it, and then she showed me how to get to the blogs and said I had to start one so all would know what I'm up to when they don't hear from me for awhile.

I won't go into the particulars of my past experiences and adventures at the moment, because it's a rich history that runs deep and backwards throughout the time of the last decades, so for now I'll concentrate on the day-to-day happenings, as this will update the people that I meet so as not to worry whenceforth.

Today was an entirely appropriate day for the most part. I went to the early service at church and spoke with the Downing girl about bracelets and trinkets and necklaces and rope and twine and other things with which to tie things onto other things. She's a lovely girl and with a little hope and luck and prayer, she won't have to worry about all that back hair plague anymore.

By the time I got to to the snack table it had been all cleaned off which was a minor disappointment as I had only eaten half of my fruit and nut bowl at my house in the a.m. in anticipation of the goodies that often abound awaiting on the welcome hour table. I went to grab a table at the cafe across the street from the church, but they did not allow to smoke within its innards so I ordered a pickle, sausage and cheese basket sandwich to go and took it to a park wherein I ate my food order and smoked just one or two of the Pall Mall's I had left over from last week.

Well, that's about all for now, I have a stew in the kettle that's whistling it's readiness now, so I must tend to it. So take care until we speak again, and be very careful of oncoming vehicles and streetcrossings when crossing the street.

Alright honey, bye bye.

-- Madge

No comments: