Wednesday, August 22, 2007

A Time To Remember - The 2nd Annual Sausage Pickle Basket Convention

I am just happily returned after a week-long trip to the Pickle Sausage Basket Convention at Lawdale Elementary School in Horosburg, Virginia. The is the second of some such convention of which that I have attended, although I have been an appreciator of both sausage and pickles and also of cheese baskets for many years and have given them exclusively as gifts for the past times to friends of mine and family too.

I don’t like to bother other people, so I keep to myself mainly. Thusforth I wouldn’t say I met many new acquaintances, but I did get to fraternize and matronize with many former acquaintances, none of whom remembered me until I showed them my back scar.

The convention began when a bell was rung in the dining hall to tell us all to come closer because there was something the man ringing the bell wanted to say. By the time I was close enough to hear him he had finished speaking, but I surmised that he said “Welcome to the Pickle Sausage Basket Convention. Mill about if you will.”

There was much to see. The world’s second pickle sausage basket (circa 1809) was on display in the principal’s office at the elementary school where the convention was held. It was a sight to see, which is for sure. I wanted to post my pictures, but when I tape the pictures to my computer screen, friends have told me they are still unable to view them. So that will have to wait until the windows man gets back to me.

In the nurse’s station we saw a demonstration of how sausage pickle baskets are put together. It was interesting to see the sausages and pickles and cheeses and some crackers and artificial greeneries in the state that they are in before being compiled into a sausage pickle basket. Many of us had questions of which to ask that took us well into the night.

On day two, we were shown a filmstrip on the history of pickle sausage baskets in the janitor’s closet. The airconditioning in the auditorium was not working well, and the large fans were too loud, so I missed a lot of it, but here is what I picked up on the rich history:

(1) God created man.
(2) Man invented sausage.
(3) Man invented cheese.
(4) Man invented pickles.
(5) Man tied food together with a string.
(6) String-tied pickle/sausage/cheese bundles damaged the food products.
(7) Man invented baskets.
(8) Man put food products in the baskets.
(9) God created woman.

It was very fascinating and had me all attentive until I nodded off and woke up hours on the soccer field out behind the baseball diamond.

On day three we sampled sausage pickle baskets from all over the world in the cafeteria. My favorites were the ones from the Ukraine and the Greek Islands.

On day four we had a bathroom break.

On day five we were treated to a lovely performance by the Lawndale Elementary Players who wrote a special play just for the occasion. I couldn’t hear most of it because the man with the hat was talking my ear off that smoking was not allowed in the Pembrook Auditorium. But I applauded at the end anyway. I thought perhaps I could be a part of the show next year, as I have always wanted to dance. I may think about getting dance lessons sometime soon.

On day six I was back home writing this blog entry. If want to read what I wrote, start over at the beginning of this entry.

No comments: