Wednesday, August 8, 2007

A phone call from today

I tape all of my phone conversations, because I don't trust anyone, and to ensure proper customer service is had by all. Below is a transcript of my telecommunications with a lovely gentleman from this afternoon. (Unfortunately, since my recorder was on the fritz during this phone call, I had to write it all out in Gregg Shorthand as we spoke.)

JARED
B&B Carpets, this is Jared. How can I help you.

MADGE
Yes, hello, Jared. Do you deal with carpets there?

JARED
Yes.

MADGE
I was wondering, can you get gum out of carpet.

JARED
Uh, yes ma'am, we can do that.

MADGE
Okay, good. And if it's several pieces of gum, you can do that, too?

JARED
That shouldn't be a problem, we deal with pretty much any stain or substance that might get caught into carpet, uh-huh.

MADGE
Okay, there's like 8 pieces of gum in the carpet. Is that okay? I have a God-daughter who is going through a bit of a gum phase right now. So you don't have any problem with that? With her bad habit?

JARED
I suppose if the gum is ground in there real-- how long has the gum been in there?

MADGE
Three weeks.

JARED
Yeah, that's not going to be a problem. I doubt the gum would have had time to really stain it, and we can pretty much take all the goo out of there.

MADGE
So you have no problem with it?

JARED
No.

MADGE
With my granddaughter's habit?

JARED
No.

MADGE
I think it's excessive. Her mother should control that.

JARED
That may be. Would you like us to come out there.

MADGE
Do I need to vacuum first?

JARED
No ma'am, we'll take care of that.

MADGE
Because there's a lot of dust and paper and some mothballs and sandwich crumbs and salad leaves and things all alike and akin to what I'm saying now. So that's not a problem.

JARED
No ma'am, we'll vacuum it and--

MADGE
How much do you charge?

JARED
How large is your carpet?

MADGE
Not that big. Just the size of my living room and half of the kitchen.

JARED
What are the dimensions?

MADGE
No larger than a barn loft. Possibly a lot smaller.

JARED
Do you know the square footage?

MADGE
It's rectangular in shape and size and I certainly wouldn't be able to walk more than 27 or 28 paces in it long-wise. Not even close to 27 or 28 paces I would say with some certainty.

JARED
... okay ... Maybe like 12 by 20?

MADGE
Sure. Let's call it a deal.

JARED
Well, we'll have to see when we get there, but a 12 by 20 room, depending on what all features you want with the cleaning would be anywhere from $125 to $700. Are you just looking for a basic wash?

MADGE
Sure.

JARED
That'd be about $125.

MADGE
Okay, that sounds reasonable. And I assume that's per piece of gum and scrap of wood and tinsel and if there are any pennies or watermelon seeds as well?

JARED
No no no, we just charge you for the whole carpet. We don't charge the way you're asking.

MADGE
So you're saying you will only charge me per hole in the carpet?

JARED
No, I said "whole" carpet, as in "the entire carpet".

MADGE
Right. It has gum all ground up. That God-daughter of mine is going to be the next Typhoid Mary, don' t you tink?

JARED
I'm not--

MADGE
Okay, so you'll just charge me for the gum, not any of the lumber bits or condiment drippings or blood.

JARED
We will take care of the entire carpet. I can't guarantee you over the phone how it will look. That depends on the carpet. But somebody who comes out there will be able to give you a rough estimate.

MADGE
Okay, but over the phone you can tell me that it will be at least $125 per gum incident, possibly more.

JARED
No. Ma'am, it will not cost that much.

MADGE
I'm very satisfied with your responses.

JARED
Thank you.

MADGE
I feel you have been helpful and thorough, and I trust you to clean my carpet.

JARED
Alright, well thank you for your trust. Let me just get your information and we'll schedule a time--

MADGE
And, Jared, tell me, and be honest: Do you get gum out of hair, too?

JARED
No, ma'am.

MADGE
I'm going to have to call you back later then. First things first. Can you transfer me to a barber, please?

JARED
This is a carpet cleaning place. I don't know any barbers.

MADGE
You never got a haircut?

JARED
Of course I do, what does that--

MADGE
Transfer me to him, then.

EPILOGUE
He continued to refuse to connect me with his barber, I became adamant and belligerent, and it ended with me giving his manager a very unfavorable review of our conversation. Now I'll be sleeping in gum again tonight, thanks to that kid. (My bed is piled with things that I cannot get under, so I'm sleeping on the gum floor, hence my due interest in cleaning it.)

2 comments:

margie said...

Madge, honey, let's take you to a nice barber I know. He even lets YOU wear a barber jacket--isn't that nice? He'll put it on you first thing when you walk in the door, and it has these nice sleeves that wrap around your body and tie together in the back. This will give you a soothing feeling of security while they cut all that gum out of your hair.

P.S. If you stop gnawing on your carpet, Sweetie, that will help keep the gum from sinking in...yes, I saw that.

Madge Fairwell said...

From whence have you watched me please? I need to know if I have house holes that need patching.